I think I had a great week all in all. It sometimes felt like everything I was coding just did not want to work. But things worked out on the home stretch. The nice thing about having multiple projects to work on is that you can switch gears if something is not working and you need some time to figure things out.
I have been doing some consulting for a small business in town. They are expanding and moving into a new building. As part of their expansion plans they wanted to ensure Internet connectivity and so wanted to have redundant incoming lines. I found a Syswan Duolinks SW24 load balancer that looks like it will do the trick. It should load balance traffic over the available connections and notify you if a line goes down. Now if both lines go down, how will you get notified? I guess it will be stumped.
Part of the expansion was a need for more phones, with the ability to start off small, but be able to expand as more staff is added.
I found what looks like a really good VOIP service www.vocalocity.com for a small business in town that I doing some consulting for. The phones and service will be purchased early next week. VOIP is the way to go to keep your costs down and for all the amazing features you can get even without owning any telephony equipment. The owner decided to go with VOIP phones Cisco SPA942 4-line IP phone that uses POE (Power Over Ethernet). This means that the phone gets it power needs via the Ethernet cable. No power adapters to deal with, and so long as the network equipment is on a UPS the phone will still work.
The last piece of equipement to buy was a Netgear FS726TP 24 port switch with POE to power those phones. All the equipment can bought at www.amazon.com.
The main Top Secret iPhone Application I am working on is going well. It looks really good as we have an awesome graphics designer. There are many screen and I have been getting the basic framework knocked out. That had some challenges, which I finally surmounted. I think there is a bug with one of the UINavigationController calls, but I found a simpler way that worked.
Next week will require some more coding to get content into those many blank screens.